Muddy wellingtons dating outlook 2016 group calendar not updating
On 8th August No 3 Group's Major Servicing Unit was installed at RAF Mildenhall, and the two operational squadrons were then removed to RAF Wyton.
After the war Stradishall left 3 Group and passed to 48 Group Transport Command and in August 1945 Number 51 and 158 Squadrons arrived in Stirling CV's and these flew until March 1946 when 51 Squadron received Yorks.
Arthur had to arrange for the reception of 180 new call-up men, despite the ending of hostilities.
However, it was inevitable that cutbacks would soon take place.
In 1944 the government had passed the Housing (Temporary Accomodation) Act which aimed to replace the war damaged housing stock and introduce returning service men to work in the construction industry.
With conventional building materials and skilled labour in short supply, one solution was to turn to factory made sectional buildings which were pre-fabricated so that they could be assembled, like a kit, on site.
This meant that of the 122 bases of the Mighty Eighth, it was the last to be vacated.
In March 1946 RAF Transport Command moved in at Honington, and the base would become crucial to the Berlin Airlift of 1948-49.
On 6th January 1946, Arthur Boreham was posted to the 3rd Infantry Training Centre at Bury St Edmunds.Redgrave Hall had been requisitioned for troops during the war, and following this period, and the massive repairs needed, it was demolished in 1946, like many other large houses of the time.The airfields and military installations in our area naturally began to be wound down.Quick links on this page Mildenhall goes American 1950 London overspill official 1954 Fighters, bombers, rail cuts 1960 WSWB set up, Gas ends 1964 Flooding and Growth 1968 Pageant of St Edmund 1970 Boby's closes 1972 A45 Bury Bypass opens 1973 Local councils reorganised 1974 London overspill stalls 1979 Winter of Discontent 1980 Nowton Court purchased 1985 Western Way, the Hurricane, and Black Monday 1987 Poll Tax introduced 1990 Council Tax, Manor House 1993 Police Authorities set up 1995 Corn Market dies out 1997 Cattle Market closes 1998 Town Centre Gateways 1999 Millenium Bug?2000 Foot of Page In the aftermath of war many of our buildings looked different as railing had been removed to be melted down "for the war effort".
In September 1946 Stradishall reverted to 3 Group and five squadrons of Lancasters were based here until February 1949.